Thursday, February 3, 2011

We are slowly getting settled in. Yesterday we registered with the police, as required by Croatian law. It was somewhat complicated due to my lack of Croatian, but we got it done. Today we walked a mile and a half or so to the bank to open an account and after arriving and waiting 20 minutes learned that to open the account I needed a piece of paper I hadn't brought with. Sigh. Well, it was a lovely day for a walk, anyway. The sun came out and  it reached a relatively balmy 36F. I feel like I earned the pastry I bought from the bakery across the street.

Speaking of bakeries, there are many. Probably a half dozen pekarnas within a block or two radius of here, including one just around the corner. Could be dangerous, except every time I visit a bakery I have to climb more than 70 steps to get back to my apartment, so it evens out.

I'm really loving this apartment. It's very spacious and comfortable. Quiet, too, other than the noisy trams, which we're getting used to. I like the sound of them, actually.

We haven't yet ventured too much around the city, but that will come. So far, we've scouted out several grocery stores nearby.
I am very happy to be able to buy blackcurrant juice here.

This is Glavni Kolodvor, the main train station. It's about 2 blocks from our place. As you can see, a nice, sunny afternoon today.

2 comments:

  1. Good Morning Phyllis!
    Such a TetraPak with this juice was in the first package I sent to you. You know the one that never arrived. *grmpf* Maybe it was damaged?
    Well at least now you can have this tasty stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great to hear that you're settling in to both the apartment and the city. The architecture of the train station is interesting -- and look at all those tram aerial lines!

    ReplyDelete